I know that in the past I have advocated putting some unusual ingredients into cocktails: Chile Peppers. Kimchi. Curry. Vinegar (in gastrique form). Bacon. But I’ve tried them and they are all delicious, if slightly oddball, so I’ve had no problem recommending them to you.
But yes, I do have limits, teflon tastebuds or not. And I’ve officially reached my limit with the five ingredients listed below. No, this is not an arbitrary list: every last item has either been served to me (in which case I’ve tried it…and regretted it) or a drink recipe featuring one of these offending ingredients has crossed my desk very recently – from otherwise reputable bartenders, no less.
1. Huitlacoche. Aka “corn smut” or “corn fungus” or “corn yeecchhh.”
2. Fish. That includes salmon and anchovies (and yes, I’ve seen both lately)
3. Tiny floating seeds. They look like bugs. Grind ‘em up or leave ‘em out.
4. Beeswax. Honey – yes. Honeycomb – sure. Beeswax? NO. Not even to coat your glass. Remember those Halloween wax lips?
5. Garlic. The one exception is a Bloody Mary, and even then you should think twice.