Later this week, I’ll be headed to Portland, Oregon, for the annual International Association of Culinary Professionals conference. I’m excited to be attending for a number of reasons:
1. Seeing in person friends I otherwise only get to see on Facebook, Twitter, e-mail…and meeting new people who enjoy talking about the food world in gloriously geeky detail, as I do.
2. For once, I’m not involved in presenting a panel….so this feels a little like a mini-vacation. It will be great to attend seminars and relax and fully immerse in listening to the presenters, rather than hoping feverishly that all my presenters and critical ingredients have arrived on time and in good condition. (there’s a story in there about AWOL ingredients and presenters in less-than-pristine condition, which I’ll save for another day.)
3. But yes, it’s still a business trip, and I’ll be signing copies of Spice & Ice at the IACP Culinary Book Fair. I’ll be making drinks too, in case you needed extra inducement to stop by and say hello!
4. While I’m in town, I’ll also be on KATU’s Primetime TV show (that’s the ABC affiliate), talking about the book and demonstrating cocktails. And yes….unlike my last TV appearance, they WILL be cocktails, not mocktails! (insert cheering sound effects here)
5. Portland itself. This will be my first time there, and I’ve heard amazing things about the city’s vibrant food and beverage culture. I have a long (and growing!) list of bars, coffee houses, distilleries, and restaurants I’m looking forward to trying out. And if you’ve got a place (or a drink!) to suggest, I’m all ears.